In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Guilford, Maine

Where history meets the future

Historic Buildings

(Page 2 of 2) Print Version 

PAST and PRESENT
Historic buildings still in existence

STRAW AND MARTIN INSURANCE OFFICE

This photo, taken around 1880, shows the Straw and Martin Insurance Office located on North Main Street. C.A. Smith rented space from Straw & Martin for his photography studio. It is not known if the studio was located on the first or second floor. Note that School Street did not exist at the time this photo was taken. Currently School Street turns to the left just past the little girl standing alone on the sidewalk.

Straw and Martin Insurance and C.A. Smith Photography, ca. 1880
Straw and Martin Insurance and C.A. Smith Photography, ca. 1880

Item Contributed by
Guilford Historical Society

This building is the current home of the Guilford Historical Society (since 1983). The large maple trees are gone but the building still looks the same today. The building location now has an address of 10 North Main Street.


ELM STREET BUSINESSES

Tina Welts House on Elm Street, Guilford, ca. 1880
Tina Welts House on Elm Street, Guilford, ca. 1880

Item Contributed by
Guilford Historical Society
Elm Street Businesses, Guilford, ca. 1880
Elm Street Businesses, Guilford, ca. 1880

Item Contributed by
Guilford Historical Society

Elm Street businesses in the late 1880s. The building on the left is the S. L. Williams, Millinery and Fancy Goods store. The person on the extreme right is William Appleyard. This photo was taken by The C. A. Smith Photo Co. This building is currently operating, and for the last 50 years, as Davis Brother's Furniture Store.

DAVIS BROTHERS FURNITURE

GUILFORD MEMORIAL LIBRARY

A Celebration on Water Street, Guilford, ca. 1908
A Celebration on Water Street, Guilford, ca. 1908

Item Contributed by
Guilford Historical Society

This is an unknown celebration on Water Street. It is quite possibly the dedication of the new Carnegie Library around 1900. Members of the band can be seen sitting on the knoll to the left of the Library building. To the right is the F.S. Stevens home built by C.F. Packard in 1891. It is still the home of Guilford Memorial Library today.


UNIVERSALIST CHURCH

Universalist Church, Guilford, 1908
Universalist Church, Guilford, 1908

Item Contributed by
Guilford Historical Society

Services and speeches were given at the Universalist Church in observance of the Centennial in 1916. The Universalist Church is located on the northwest corner of School Street and North Main Street across the road from the Town Hall andd Fire Station. Today it is operating as the United Methodist Church and is the home of Little Miracles Country School.

United Methodist Church, Guilford

GUILFORD BED AND BREAKFAST

Guilford Bed and Breakfast, ca. 1918
Guilford Bed and Breakfast, ca. 1918

Item Contributed by
Guilford Historical Society

This is an early 1900s photo of the Guilford Bed & Breakfast. This building was built in the 1890s by David Campbell for his daughter and her husband, Ernest and Louise Genthner. Over the years some owners included Micajah J. Hudson, the Hilton Family, Drake Family and Cummings Family. In 1986, it was owned and operated as a bed & breakfast operation by John and Pat Selicious, and Lynn and Harry Anderson in 1998. It is located on the south side of Elm Street facing the Piscataquis River. The building has six beautiful guest rooms. The building still exists today and is still operating as the Guilford Bed and Breakfast. The property now has many mature trees surrounding this beautiful structure.

GUILFORD BED AND BREAKFAST

GUILFORD COMMUNITY THEATRE

Guilford Community Theatre, 1939
Guilford Community Theatre, 1939

Item Contributed by
Guilford Historical Society
True Textiles, Inc.
Community Theatre Program, Guilford, July 3,1939
Community Theatre Program, Guilford, July 3,1939

Item Contributed by
Guilford Historical Society

The Community Theatre was built and financed by Henry and Minnie Elliott in approximately 1932. It was managed and operated by their son, Richard Elliott, and partner Walter Mills for several years. The building was used as a roller rink for a period of time after the development of television, making movies less profitable. The office of the Guilford Water Company was on the second floor.

On July 3, 1939, The Community Theatre in Guilford presented the movies "Charlie Chan in Reno" and "In Hollywood."

Today the building still exists and is owned by True Textiles (formerly Guilford of Maine).


THE CHASE-EM-IN TEA ROOM

Chase-Em-In Tea Room, Guilford, ca. 1920
Chase-Em-In Tea Room, Guilford, ca. 1920

Item Contributed by
Guilford Historical Society

In the 1920s on State Route 15 in Guilford, a small lunchroom and filling station was opened for business known as the Chase-Em-In Tea Room. It was Located at the top of the hill about two miles east of Guilford Village and across from Guilford Industries yarn mill. Several businesses were operated from this location over the years. Later it was rebuilt and known as Hill Top House as a residence. In 2000, it was owned and operated by Mr. & Mrs. Dwinal Hall as Hall's Restaurant for several years. Note the gasoline sold for 26 cents.


Water Street looking west, Guilford, ca. 1930
Water Street looking west, Guilford, ca. 1930

Item Contributed by
Guilford Historical Society

HOLBROOK'S POOL HALL

This is a view of Water Street, looking west, around 1930. The Bangor & Aroostook Railroad tracks are on the left. The first (closest) building on the right is M. Holbrook's Pool Hall and Bowling Alley. In recent years it was and still is today operating as the American Legion Hall. The next building on the right is the Willis Bennett Garage. It is currently Clarke's Restaurant. At the end of the street is the Douglas Store with an awning over the entire length of the front of the building.


Flood, Guilford, 1936
Flood, Guilford, 1936

Item Contributed by
Guilford Historical Society

THE PREBLE FARM AND GRAY GABLE TEA HOUSE

The Preble Farm on Water Street and Gray Gable Tea House, operated by Elsie Preble, are shown partially under water during the 1936 flood. The tea house was mostly destroyed and is not here today. Guilford Hardware moved to the site around 1980 and suffered great damage during the flood of 1987. Lovell's Guilford Hardware still occupies the site today.

Lovell's Guilford Hardware

W. G. BLAKE'S AGENCY

This office building was originally located across the road and beside the home of Henry Hudson, Esq. It is currently operating as a real estate office, W. G. Blake's Agency. This building is one of only two buildings in town listed in the National Historic Register.