In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Guilford, Maine

Where history meets the future

MANUFACTURING

(Page 2 of 2) Print Version 

Interface Fabrics

By Matt Stone and Luke Nadeau
Images from the Guilford Historical Society

Guilford Woolen Mills, ca. 1920
Guilford Woolen Mills, ca. 1920

Item Contributed by
Guilford Historical Society

The Interface Fabrics Mill was first made in 1865. It had several independent water wheels. It was not a very big mill in the 1800s. It started to improve in the 1930s. In the 1940s they added a new addition and they went from making $1 million a year to $80 million a year because of the improvements. Nothing major happened to the mill until the 1970s.

New Addition to Guilford Woolen Mill, ca. 1930
New Addition to Guilford Woolen Mill, ca. 1930

Item Contributed by
Guilford Historical Society

Interface Fabrics is the biggest mill in Guilford. Interface Fabrics is the biggest fabric mill in the 20th century. The mill founded flame retardant fabrics in 1974. The mill is over 150 years old. It is located on Route 15 in the center of Guilford, on the right coming from Dover before the green bridge. If you are coming from Sangerville, Parkman, or Abbot it is after the green bridge; it is on the left. The address is 9 Oak Street.

Flood and Steel Bridge, Guilford, 1936
Flood and Steel Bridge, Guilford, 1936

Item Contributed by
Guilford Historical Society

In 1979, Saulter joined the company as president. In 1991, they added a new addition which was over $8 million dollars. That was just offices.

M.L. Hussey Woolen Company Mill, Guilford, 1918
M.L. Hussey Woolen Company Mill, Guilford, 1918

Item Contributed by
Guilford Historical Society

The additions made in 1943 and 1991 were made out of metal and concrete. It never had to be restored because it's been a mill since it was made. They have had to do some repairs but not big ones. In the flood of 1987, they had to put new windows in the lower floors.

Guilford Woolen Mill Finishing Room Crew, ca, 1890
Guilford Woolen Mill Finishing Room Crew, ca, 1890

Item Contributed by
Guilford Historical Society